[FRIAM] Self-Consciousness, experience and metaphysics

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 25 11:35:25 EDT 2024

responding to two of glen's comments:

First the two anecdotes about dropping/catching things. My experience as I read them, there are two different conscious entities here, glen and glen's body.  [Hidden premise in the movie, Jennifer's Body?] made me think, another experience, of the metaphor "monkey brain riding a dogs brain riding a lizards brain," and made me wonder, another experience, if all three have quasi-independent consciousnesses.

Second, the fusion anecdotes. I experienced a "yes!" moment regarding a continuum of consciousness: "mom's ICU partial fusion, mom's "fully home" fusion, and Huxley's Doors of Perception fusion, escaping the filters imposed by the 'focused-on-survival-brain' and achieving a (more) complete fusion.

davew