[FRIAM] US and Forever Wars

Santafe desmith at santafe.edu
Sun Aug 24 13:41:19 EDT 2025


That’s funny, 

> On Aug 24, 2025, at 11:34, Marcus Daniels <marcus at snoutfarm.com> wrote:
> 
> I'm more optimistic because the control mechanisms may soon decide the controllers aren't making good decisions.   I understand why China would do it:  Look at what happens in the West when people are allowed to decide things.  What a mess!

I actually had _exactly_ this conversation, sitting in a very pretty event room in a hotel in Beijing, with a senior colleague (whom I will not name) that got me invited to the event.  Good man, and I think a trustworthy man, but a little too uniformly enthusiastic for China’s current directions, from what I would have considered a sober assessment.  

He was asserting in just those words, as the Party’s reasoning for forbidding social media as a coordination tool.  Look at what is going on in the U.S.  The government sees the unrest in Hong Kong and thinks “we don’t want that to go in a similar direction”.  

Eric 




More information about the Friam mailing list