[FRIAM] Cable modem question...does turning it on and off actually help
Russell Standish
lists at hpcoders.com.au
Fri Sep 5 19:24:32 EDT 2025
I'm on FTTC here (stopped using cable modems 15 years ago), and suffer
frequent dropouts. Resetting the modem and router (they're separate
boxes in this context) does help after each dropout.
I don't know whether to blame the obsession with home renovations
here, or a deliberate push to get us to upgrade to fibre (which
presents its own problems), or whether the state of the copper wires
have degraded that much in the last couple of years (they were fine
for the first 3-4 years we've been on FTTC).
Cheers
On Fri, Sep 05, 2025 at 05:00:07PM -0600, Gillian Densmore wrote:
> I got to thinking: Does turning a cable modem (and or router)...actually do
> anything for quality(latency, and the fun of 200 years just to check when
> monday night football starts.)
>
> It seems to but does it actually what I means is ok does it actually do
> anything? and if so what and why?
>
> I don't know just curious!
> .- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... --- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
> Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe / Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
> to (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
> FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
> archives: 5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
> 1/2003 thru 6/2021 http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Russell Standish Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
http://www.hpcoders.com.au
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
More information about the Friam
mailing list