[FRIAM] (no subject)

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Sep 10 14:12:53 EDT 2025


And "stories" being perhaps just "linguistic models" fit to data points 
(re the recent Nick Noodling on number series)?

My own 5-6 degree polynomial (or more to the point 5-500 dimension 
curve) when fit to the mis-remembered/recorded "facts" of my life wave 
around all over the place with "overfitting".    I am the blind-men's 
elephant with his trunk waving all over 500D phase space?


On 9/10/25 11:59 am, glen wrote:
> Well, IDK Lawvere (other than from that category book). But it would 
> be interesting to, while young, formulate the predicates you'd like to 
> satisfy when you're old. Renee' and I regularly marvel that we're 
> still alive. When we were young, we couldn't even imagine we'd live 
> this long, much less imagine what properties we might have. I suppose 
> it's that ugly diachronic/narrativity thing again. Like ChatGPT, we 
> can tell ourselves stories about anything. And we'll even believe 
> them. When I was a kid, "story" was synonymous with "lying". "You're 
> not telling us stories, are you?" - a regular question coming from my 
> parents. My response was literally irrelevant. They already had their 
> narrative of whatever I might or might not have done. Whose telling 
> the stories, here?!?! >8^D
>
> On 9/10/25 10:47 AM, Jon Zingale wrote:
>> Wow, two decades ago. I wish more old people were like him.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2025 at 11:43 AM Jon Zingale <jonzingale at gmail.com 
>> <mailto:jonzingale at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     """
>>
>>     I found this entertaining, like all her videos:
>>
>>     Part 6: You cannot hear radio waves.
>>     https://youtu.be/0j4_-7rwWjE?si=9XKhErO03LQLPgvp&t=3910 
>> <https://youtu.be/0j4_-7rwWjE?si=9XKhErO03LQLPgvp&t=3910>
>>
>>     I like the genre "noise". But some of my friends who are true 
>> fans have some perverse tastes in music. E.g. a couple of them *hate* 
>> what they call "noodling" ... like Joe Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen 
>> ... mostly sounds like they're playing scales. They argue that chords 
>> and rhythm guitar, as well as drums, are way more 
>> interesting/entertaining to them. I find that somewhat contradictory. 
>> It just seems like you can't really be a fan of noise without liking 
>> noodling, at least when it's appropriate ... not gratuitous. But 
>> apophenia's a thing. So maybe noise is an ultimate art form, where 
>> the artist can intend anything she wants without constraining the 
>> audience in their imputation?
>>
>>     Composers *think* they're generating these things. But most 
>> mathematicians are Platonic. Maybe the composers are actually 
>> *discovering* music as opposed to generating it?
>>
>>     """
>>
>>     Noise is so wonderful. The only genre.
>>     Honestly the album I have listened to the most over the last 5 
>> years:
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISG4YwnikJ0 
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISG4YwnikJ0>
>>
>>     Lately, two other favorites:
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHLCHv4PiI 
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHLCHv4PiI>
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ5ZvVZ4jWk 
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ5ZvVZ4jWk>
>>
>>     The last one I learned about from Bill Lawvere when he and I had 
>> dinner in Toronto a decade or so ago. He was telling me that when he 
>> was a kid, he would go out into the woods with a military radio and 
>> listen to the whistler effect. He went on to make an analogy to 
>> Rota's generalization of mobius inversion. I thought it was really 
>> cool and so he sent me a copy of a lecture on it that he gave the day 
>> I was born.
>>
>
>



More information about the Friam mailing list