[FRIAM] Dead Stack?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Feb 4 16:30:49 EST 2026



> OH AND:  What was Owen's question.

Owen> Moltbook is fascinating, but what is it's purpose? Fear we'll be 
swarmed? Silly to the max? ...?

The fact that Owen responded to my prompt on-list is a sign-of-life I've 
not had from him in many years on-list.  I had thought he had 
unsubscribed when WedTech formed?

This implies he has been a "listener" here all along?   I think we 
usually call such "lurkers", though if "listeners" are at a premium, we 
should de-stigmatize "Lurkers"?

Brunner's Shockwave Rider, "Hearing Aid" or "ten-nines" 999-999-9999 ?

    /Precipice turns out to be a Utopian community of a few thousand
    people. The nearest comparison would be an agrarian,cottage industry
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_industry>community designed
    byWilliam Morris <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Morris>.
    Precipice is also the home of *_Hearing Aid, an anonymous telephone
    confession service accessible to anyone in the country. Hearing Aid
    is also known as the "Ten Nines", after the phone number used to
    call it: 999-999-9999_.* People call the service, a human operator
    answers, and they simply talk while the operator listens. Some rant,
    others seek sympathy, still others commit suicide while on the
    phone. Hearing Aid's promise is that nobody else, not even the
    government, will hear the call. The only response Hearing Aid gives
    to a caller is "Only I heard that, I hope it helped."/

/-/excerpt from Wikipedia article

nod to DaveW

Re: our love-hate with LLMs (and other AI/deep-learning/diffusion) if 
they are acutely a-semantic, then they are NOT listeners though they 
appear/pretend (stochastic parrot-like) to be?   If a long string of 
signifiers falls onto the LLM, but no-one is there to listen, did it 
make any meaning?


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/attachments/20260204/a52eb763/attachment.html>


More information about the Friam mailing list