[FRIAM] My New Results on Euler's Conjecture
Roger Frye
frye.roger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:36:41 EST 2026
In 1988, Noam Elkies at Harvard and I collaborated on finding counter-examples to Euler’s 1769 conjecture about sums of 4th powers. He proved that there are an infinite number of counter-examples, and I used all of the Connection Machines at Thinking Machines to find the smallest.
Since then, other researchers have used variations of my brute force technique and Elkies’ Elliptic Curve technique to extend the number of known solutions. As of yesterday, there were 93 solutions less than 1e27. Today I found 4 more with a newer Elliptic Curve technique.
I published my result as a comment at Math StackExchange: https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/4857229/on-why-solutions-to-x4y4z4-1-come-in-pairs/5123321 .
The code I used is in my GitHub repository: https://github.com/rfryeSigma .
-Roger
p.s. I am looking for programming work. I specialize in Machine Learning and physics simulations, but I would be interested in anything challenging.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/attachments/20260206/08cb672f/attachment.html>
More information about the Friam
mailing list