[FRIAM] efficacy? effectiveness?
glen
gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:32:51 EST 2026
Text is King
https://www.experimental-history.com/p/text-is-king
The post is good. But I'd argue not great. There's some missing category to which "text" and "books" etc. belong. And the reason "Text is King" despite any decline in "reading" is because that deeper category is the reason it all matters. He starts to get at it when talking about memory and recording, especially "the billionth stream of 'Golden' is exactly the same as the first".
I don't really have a name for the category. I've heard it called "effective" in the sense of an "effective procedure". There's FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable, & reusable) ... and the "+" in FAIR+, including computable. The oft-abused "algorithmic". Etc. *This* is what keeps me coming back to *things like* text.
But I no longer read books, really, wiggling about whatever "read" means. I still buy/download them. And I read parts. But I almost always have to re-slice the thing, reading the parts in a different order, some parts re-read multiple times, others once or never. I'm just no longer willing/able to be a thrall to the writer's design. So his identification of "text" with books seems pretty flawed. Still worth the read ... >8^D
--
¡sıɹƎ ןıɐH ⊥ ɐןןǝdoɹ ǝ uǝןƃ
ὅτε oi μὲν ἄλλοι κύνες τοὺς ἐχϑροὺς δάκνουσιν, ἐγὰ δὲ τοὺς φίλους, ἵνα σώσω.
More information about the Friam
mailing list