[FRIAM] *Bah!* - Trump - Become smarter in minutes

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Apr 26 16:47:52 EDT 2017

Marcus -
> Wisdom isn’t spontaneously created by intelligence, but it accrues
> through experience (both individual and cultural).  With low
> intelligence, the accrual process slows.   The behaviors can be
> mimicked, and often are by political agents.
In general I agree with/believe you.   I reserve, however, the
possibility that there are many orders or levels of wisdom such as that
accrued (very slowly) through biological evolution.  A "species" might
be said to have a certain wisdom, and just so with a culture, and
ultimately an individual or one aspect of an individual's psyche
perhaps?   I have met people (and apprehended cultures) which appear to
have one mode of wisdom while being virtually devoid of wisdom in
another mode.   Not to be overly judgemental, but many primitive or at
least "old" subcultures seem to have this duality...

I am probably reporting from the "other side" (wrong side) of the hill
(as in "over the hill") and erring on conservative thoughtfulness in the
face of brash full-speed-ahead.   I"m not sure my "new way" is better
than the "old way", but it IS different?

<rant> As an aside, it is a very fascinating study that so many people
can hear the likes of Trump belligerently bellowing: "I have a very good
brain" and think he is correct.  I think you already referenced his 4th
grade vocabulary/speech patterns, so sometimes all I can wonder is if
*most* people who think he IS particularly intelligent believe it
because *their* language skills are even more stunted than his?  Or
perhaps they give him a pass on his articulateness and focus on his
performance as a businessman? Quantitatively he may (or may not) have
done well on that count, most likely his biggest achievement was to NOT
have lost the family fortune he was bequeathed?       Others seem to
like him because he seems so "down to earth and folksy"... he "tells it
like it is", but that falls down so badly for me when he "tells it like
he imagines it in the moment" and then says something entirely different
the next time with no retraction or apology for the first gaffe.   I
think this is classic Narcissistic personality disorder?   The "you" of
the immediate moment is always right, everyone else is wrong unless they
agree with you in detail, including some former self who may have said
the exact opposite ten minutes before? </rant>

- Steve