[FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

Grant Holland grant.holland.sf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 11:56:29 EDT 2017

Nick,

Re: your queston about stochastic processes....

Yes, your specific description "AND its last value" is what most uses of
"stochastic process" imply. But, technically all that is required to be
a "stochastic process" is that each next step in the process is
unpredictable, whether or not the outcome of one step influences the
outcome of the next. An example of this is the process of flipping a
coin several times in a row. Generally, we assume that the outcomes of
two adjacent flips are stochastically (or statistically) independent,
and that there is no influence between the steps. So, the steps of an
independent stochastic process are not dependent on their previous steps.

On the other hand, selecting dinner tonight probably depends on what you
had last night, because you would get bored with posole too many nights
in a row. And maybe your memory goes back more than just one night, and
your selection of dinner tonite is affected by what you had for 2 or
more nites before. If your memory goes back only one night, then your
"dinner selection process" is a kind of stochastic process called a
"Markov process". Markov processes limit their "memory" to just one
step. (That keeps the math simpler.)

In any event, stochastic processes whose steps depend on the outcomes of
previous steps are "less random" than those that don't, because the
earlier steps "give you extra information" that help you narrow down the
options and to better predict the future steps - some more than others.
So, LEARNING can occur inside of these dependent stochastic processes.

In fact, the mathematics of information theory is all about taking
advantage of these dependent (or "conditional") stochastic processes to
hopefully predict the outcomes of future steps. The whole thing is based
on conditional probability. Info theory uses formulas with names such as
joint entropy, conditional entropy, mutual information and entropy rate.
These formulas can measure /how much /stochastic dependency is at work
in a particular process - i.e how predictable it is. Entropy rate in
particular works with conditional stochastic processes and tries to use
that "extra information" provided by stochastic dependencies to predict
future outcomes.

Re: your "evolution" question... I have been speaking of biological
evolution.

HTH

Grant