[FRIAM] The apocalypse

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 10 15:24:29 EDT 2017

While undoubtedly fun, all the speculation (dare I say hysteria without
sounding sexist?) about a Trump induced apocalypse is kind of far
fetched. Too many intermediaries twixt mouth, button, and detonation.
However, according to FEMA, the US Military, the Department of Energy,
and the CIA there IS a 100% chance of an existential threat occurring
within the next 10-20 years. Massive failure of the power grid.-- Iran, Russia, China, and probably North Korea already have malware
embedded in the system.-- Major transformers have no backup (they cost 10-100 million dollars,
take two years to build, and are almost all built in China)-- Deaths by day 5 of failure will reach the 100s of thousands, if
not millions.--  By day ten, there will be no economy and no effectual government.
-- One of the highest ranked scenarios for this to occur is North Korea
detonating a ship born nuke off the coast of Southern California - the
nuke tuned to generate a massive EMP. And, we know they have nukes
small enough to fit in a freighter. They can do this. Guam is absurd at
the present.
Interestingly, none of the government agencies that are certain this
event will occur within 20 years have any plans for how it will be
dealt with!
davew

 BTW, the grid has been a particular interest of mine since an
 acquaintance  caused the first major US blackout, in the early 70s,
 by toppling a few towers in the pacific northwest with a few sticks
 of dynamite.