[FRIAM] What are the scenarios? Game theory?

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 00:14:08 EDT 2017

Well, yes, Owen.  I was contacted recently by a group of South and North
Korean women who have been meeting secretly in the DMZ.  The North Koreans
sent their delegation.  It's a really interesting group.  And if you read
Truthout today, a good strategy is emerging that involves re-starting the
anti-nuke movement.  Visit our web site:  e-mergenow.org.

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Owen Densmore <owen at backspaces.net> wrote:

> From BBC a reasonable summary:
>   http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40879485
>
> My question is simple: what *are* the alternatives? Is there an
> interesting game theoretic analysis?
>
> The toughest part is that South Korea is being held hostage. NK can
> devastate SK even if hit with a pre-emptive strike.
>
> As rash as Trump's bluster has been, the real question remains: what is
> the reasonable response to NK's threat.
> - Preemptive Strike? Likely a loser unless it is so massive as to
> obliterate every human in NK. SK would be seriously damaged in the
> aftermath.
> - Wait 'til NK strikes? Again, hardly reasonable.
> - Anti-missile defense? Possibly, but you just gotta miss one for
> apocalypse. And what do you do if you *do* succeed? SK is still hostage.
> - Tit for Tat? Well, only in the bluster game. Our threats will match
> yours & vice versa.
>
> Has anyone heard of an interesting strategy?
>
>    -- Owen

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

Visiting Professor in Integrative Peacebuilding
Saint Paul University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

merlelefkoff at gmail.com <merlelefoff at gmail.com>
mobile:  (303) 859-5609