[FRIAM] the Skeptical Meme

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Aug 16 11:10:39 EDT 2017

Eric writes:

< It is not so far from Nietzche’s notion that “God is dead” creates a problem for people, and they will face a fork in the road in how they try to deal with it. >

Yeah, it is probably nothing new that is happening nor a new interpretation.   Institutions of various kinds can give individuals a role to play and guidelines for conduct, but a highly interconnected population with a complex economy will stress these institutions and reveal their limitations.   Meanwhile, only exceptional and delusional individuals can really make a convincing case (esp. to themselves) about their unique value either coupled-to or uncoupled-from from institutions.   However, I fear the stakes are pretty high now -- the contagion of people going bonkers could be fast with social media.   A healthy society is one where individuals can mature to the point they can begin to doubt the meaning in their own anxiety (whether by themselves, with their shrink or their spiritual authority) and make it to the next day.

Marcus