[FRIAM] the Skeptical Meme

gⅼеɳ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 13:46:20 EDT 2017

Nietzsche's complaining/rejoicing re: the loss of the Christian rule set isn't all that relevant, I don't think.  Those Trumpians complaining about "political correctness" aren't complaining about the lack of a rule set, because there exists a new rule set.  E.g. don't chant "Jews will not replace us" and expect to get away with it.  Similarly, we can't really apply Nietzsche's observation that deontology is faulty to authoritarians anywhere.

No, the desperation and rage Marcus points to is about a perceived change to the rules, from one broken rule set to another (equally broken) rule set.  That's what makes it tricky for those of us who don't base our ethics on rules.  When a Trumpian points out flaws in the lefty's rule set, we consequentialists have to agree with them... yeah, their rule set is faulty.  They hear that part.  But then the Trumpian fails to hear the qualifier: "Because ALL rule sets are faulty! Damnit."

--
gⅼеɳ