[FRIAM] the Skeptical Meme

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Aug 16 19:30:52 EDT 2017

Merle -

Thanks for offering this up.   My own maunderings about "what is in
human nature" having me trust that we are still *mostly* the animals who
gathered in groups of order Dunbar number (150?) who *mostly* loved one
another and treated one another with respect and generosity (up to a
myriad quirks of personality and a shared fate).

On the other hand, while members of said community/group/tribe/pack/herd
might extend some of that goodwill toward others they recognized as
same/thePeople, they had good reason to be less generous/trusting toward
others who were not so familiar, who spoke unrecognizeable languages,
whose skin/hair/eye color or features were significantly different.   I
think these are very real evolutionarily adaptive roots of what we see
as Xenophobia today.

I don't describe this as a way of trying to normalize racist/ethnic
bigotry, but rather to acknowledge that it has some instinctual roots
that focus the "hateful/fearful teachings" that become institutionalized
in subcultures and perhaps entire cultures.   And it is this wholesale
adoption by a group which ends up not only teaching, but maintaining the
fear (and therefore hate?).

I know your work is IN "peacebuilding".   Does your model include an
acceptance of these somewhat instinctual responses to "the Other" ?

I was very pleased to see the speech by Heather's mother today which I
thought held a very positive message in what must be a very tragic
moment for her.

- Steve