[FRIAM] Randomness and Andreas Wagner

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 17 13:19:48 EDT 2017

"it supports .... the notion that randomness is a funny kind of concept
... genomic innovation." But it is funny in a particular way: Nature
can roll the dice all she wants, but the game is rigged - it is
actually quite difficult not to "hit a winner" with any given roll of
the dice. Were the game not rigged in this particular way truly random
changes would have a near zero possibility that the 'innovation' would
be viable.
davew