[FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Wed Aug 23 12:33:27 EDT 2017

Okay, that wasn't quite fair to Andreas Wagner.  He's got aspects of
neutral networks in his redundant gene networks, that is, if you duplicate
all the genes that participate in a control system, then one set can evolve
while the other set maintains the original function of the system.  This is
like Peter Shuster's work on neutral networks of RNA sequences which
preserve the RNA secondary structure while evolving the primary sequence,
or the parallel work on proteins evolving their primary sequence while
retaining the 3d structure and function, both of which got mentioned in the
Phillip Ball article that Robert linked.  Which is hardly surprising given
the time both spent at SFI.

I think this also corresponds to Gerald Edelman's idea of biological
degeneracy.  In fact, the wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degeneracy_(biology) makes Wagner's point
about degeneracy and robustness without referring to Wagner as a source in
the body of the article.  Hmm, there is an A. Wagner in the footnotes, but
he isn't listed as a known researcher on the topic in the article body.
Wonder who's editing this article?

This all reminds me of the underlying basis for the ensemble dynamics used
by Folding at Home to combine multiple independent short random walks.  I
remember once tracking that to a paper from LANL witten in the 50's, but I
can't find any trace of it.  The gist was that starting multiple short
random walks from a given starting point and appropriately combining
results would allow you to bias the starting point for the next bundle of
short random walks, and the net result would be a super-linear speedup over
spending the same resources on one long random walk.

So the equivalent evolutionary ratchet might be to duplicate the genetic
basis for something, creating multiple starting points for random walks;
 allow each duplicate to evolve independently for some period, creating
multiple random walks;  select against multiple copies and harvest the
survivors;  rinse;  and repeat.  But rather than starting from a single
genotype, which would be game over, you start from an existing diverse
population.  Might be done by cycles of resource abundance and starvation.

-- rec --