[FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

gⅼеɳ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 14:32:05 EDT 2017

So, perhaps the problem lies in "innovation-as-organism" versus "innovation-as-lineage"?  Selection clearly causes lineage (via synthesis/assemblage/construction), built from the building blocks of organisms that survive to reproduce.  But selection clearly does not cause/construct those organisms.  Yes, as Robert points out, selection guides or constrains which organisms can arise at any given point, based on the shape of the space that is the environment (aka fitness).  But selection doesn't construct the organism.  Other parts of the evolutionary conception do that (mutation, crossover, etc.).

By that reasoning, both sides are right and (again): Brevity is the soul of stupidity.  Selection does *and* does not create innovations.  It does create (novel) lineages.  But it does not create (novel) organisms.

--
gⅼеɳ