[FRIAM] causation / evolution

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 1 15:10:02 EST 2017

Nick, look forward to FRIAM on the 22nd and 29th.

Some quick points on your larding, without re-larding.
- autopoiesis is a metaphor, not a literal term. It is 'exclusionary
  insider language" in the sense that anyone who takes it as literal is
  making evident they are not part of the clique. Self "creation" is a
  horrible misunderstanding of the term which is supposed to provide a
  metaphor for self "organization." The usage of terms like design,
  invention, creation, etc. — at the time they were used — reflected
  Parmenides view that nothing could come from nothing. There was no
  such thing as creation - merely reorganization, and nothing was 'new'
  only 'remembered'.
People are careless when discussing 'systems' but I would venture that,
implicitly if not overtly, no one uses system in the way you suggest. I
suspect most people involved in the discussion would pretty much agree
with von Bertalanfy's definition of a system as an "arbitrarily bounded
collection of elements and the relationships among them." All systems
are contained within other systems all the way up to The System which is
coextensive with the Universe. No system lacks connections with the
larger context even though, for convenience and focus we may pretend
that they do not just to simplify our lives. Or, like the Galactic
Constant, used to compute orbits among planets - we aggregate a host of
connections into one, simply to make our calculations easier.
The search for *"invariant feature of living systems around which
natural selection operates ... without recourse to referential concepts
like 'purpose' of 'function'"* sounds, to me, a lot more Pragmatic than
Cartesian. But this perhaps my own misunderstanding of all three
thinkers. I will note, however, that AI, at the time I was a student of
that discipline, was fixated on the notion of internal representation of
an external reality — absolutely Cartesian — while Varela working with
Winograd rejected that notion in favor of a minor variant of structural
coupling which was, from my point of view, very Pragmatic.
davew

Links:

  1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autopoiesis