[FRIAM] Narrating Complexity

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 19 19:44:55 EST 2017

In my opinion, Glen is right to be worried, and more than a little worried about the idea that "narrative" is fundamental to cognition.

Simultaneously, I am a huge fan of "story" and do believe that "story" is fundamental to cognition.

My antipathy towards narrative theory, and the resolution of the partial contradiction above, is that I see narrative theorists as a group of academics that are trying to "formalize" something that is fundamentally aformal.

That vast majority of what we know, individually and collectively was acquired via story (70-75%); while 20-25% was acquired via direct experience (but shared with others via story); and only 2-5% of what we know was acquired formally as 'book learning'.

Ever since we started talking to each other, and telling stories around the fire pit, we have had no difficulty telling intelligible, meaningful, and useful stories about complex systems - after all we have lived in one and interacted with one, pretty successfully, for tens of thousands of years.

If narrative theory, as presently formalized, cannot deal with complexity, then the issue is with the formalism - it is fatally flawed.

In my opinion, this is the same issue with AI, both classical and the current resurgence of "AI in everything" fad - intelligence is defined as what the machine can do, what the formalisms that drive the machine can handle, and not what goes on in the embodied minds of human beings. When the singularity occurs and the machines take over, it is not because they are 'are cognitively superior and think better than us" it is because we allowed them to define away, as "not cognition," that which is unique to human minds.

Narrative theorists, again only in my opinion, do the same thing with story: anything not congruent with the theory is excluded as not cognition.

davew