[FRIAM] Climate Change

Carl Tollander carl at plektyx.com
Sat Dec 30 00:25:43 EST 2017

I would rather,
 than worry directly about the predictability of the climate models we
currently have vs the population/variety/intitial conclusions of
researchers from decades ago,
 that we instead consider a range of climate risks, their consequences,
our responses/adaptations, and their consequences.
The latter may prepare us, and it moves that portion of the science along
in any case, and may yet eventually show up any deficiencies in the former,
but let's get underway.

Personally, I'm with Lovelock on the large grain future: the window of
action gets progressively smaller the longer we delay, and that the world
will likely experience
a "massive reduction in carrying capacity" (that's a euphemism) over the
next century.    Looking at older cultures and how they survive, mutate,
die or flourish in analogous upheavals (e.g. mid-8th-century China or
black-death eras in  Europe) might be worthwhile at this point. Start by
assuming the fan/speed/blades and what/who hits it; what can/should we DO?
We should at least perhaps understand when we are waiting too long to begin
adaptations that are cheap, safe, economic or politically acceptable, for
Nature bats last.

Hope y'all like mosquitoes.

カール