[FRIAM] SFI to Trump: The dangers of simplicity in a complex world

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 6 15:39:04 EST 2017

Dear all,

Steve Smith wrote:

I feel we *don't* discuss as many Complexity topics as I would like,

I will talk about tornado formation, a n y   t I m e, Steve.

Seriously, I wonder if the fact that we have stopped talking about complexity might have something to do with the state of play of that field.  I reached a point where I began to feel that complexity-talk went on in some alternative universe that, without the initiation and the golden key, I was never going to enter. You will remember, Steve, that  I worked for a couple of years, trying to make a translation between that universe and mine, and was never able to manage it.  When the working vocabulary of a science is inaccessible to a diligent, moderately intelligent, practitioner of neighboring sciences, does that not limit the development of that science?

By the way, when I first came out here I tried to make contact with SFI.  At the time, I wrote up the result in a satirical account, which, to be honest, reeks of sour grapes.  Still, in the present context you might find it funny.  See attached.

Omitted from this account was one life-changing exchange with Dr. X.  At some point, during Phase II of The Ritual Reception and Rejection, I asked him, “Given that The Institute is such a charismatic place, and given that you have no room, where do all the people go when you reject them?  There must be a lot of them around Santa Fe.”

I am everlastingly grateful for his response.  He thought a very long minute and then scribbled on a Posty and handed it to me.  It said, “Call Steve Guerin.  FRIAM.”

The rest is history.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/