[FRIAM] SFI to Trump: The dangers of simplicity in a complex world

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Feb 6 13:59:52 EST 2017

I appreciate FriAM, even though I don't attend Friday Congregation very
often, or even WedTech Congregation either! The *active* voices here are
familiar and even though I may have a lot of different perspectives and
opinions, I truly value what I hear here, and more than anything I look
forward to one of our *many* lurkers chiming in.

I feel we *don't* discuss as many Complexity topics as I would like, but
I like knowing that there are many with strong Complexity backgrounds
engaged in the more sociopolitical discussions that seem to dominate.

Since I feel a bit like Glen in his statement "Since I don't belong
anywhere, I obviously didn't belong there"...  I'm enough used to being
an outsider or an interloper that I generally can slip into alien
situations and keep a low enough profile to not raise alarm or cause
disruption.

This forum, being asynchronous and as Gary points out, "easy to delete"
feels like a safe place FOR me to speak up above a hushed whisper... so
I value it as well.

SFx was intended to be a more open and welcoming environment to share
the wealth from... I think we did a moderately good job much of the
time, but still missed the mark in at least developing a sustainable
funding model.

- Steve