[FRIAM] SFI to Trump: The dangers of simplicity in a complex world

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Feb 6 17:51:26 EST 2017

Nick -

I DO remember he tornado/vortex/swirlie discussions of yore, and in
fact, those were characteristic of the discussions I appreciated there
being here, just as I appreciated the "book club" you spearheaded on a
Complexity topic even earlier (what book was that?).  I also appreciated
your "noodling" concept back in the day (not complexity as such,
excepting for the idea of emergent knowledge).   I think your
contribution to this list, with your own specific background and as an
unabashed "innocent' on many topics is very valuable.  I realize my
encouraging Doug in his juvenile responses (e.g. Swirlies) did undermine
your attempt to be serious about tornadoes, but it DID lead you to
meeting his Parrots I think?   I have a fresh batch of Ravens at my
place who you are welcome to come engage with their vocalizations (no
wife now to limit my open invitations, just a vicious dog who I can
sequester with minor warning).

I agree that the deeper methods of Complexity Science ARE difficult and
subtle, but in many ways more intuitive and accessible (IMO) than those
of Relativistic and Quantum Physics. The *ideas* (as I think Glen
suggests) *are* pretty available... I would suggest that your own field
might be harder for educated laypersons from "adjacent fields" to grasp,
with even more reserved terminology?  The fact that Complexity Science
spans (virtually?) all sciences ( and engineering and technology ) means
it *must* be accessible laterally.  There is little to no value to
stovepiping it.   I know some folks have made quite a living off of
making Complexity Science arcane... but far from all.  I think SFI does
a very good job in general.

I don't know what it can be done in this forum, but perhaps.  I think
that what complexityexplorer.org (thanks to SFI) is trying to do is
exactly what you are seeking?   I sat in on the first round (online )
but it was "remedial" enough for me to not hold my interest, though I
*do* much need the thoroughness involved.   I had hoped there would form
a "study group" here to follow the classes and have lots of peer
support.  I don't remember their being much engagement in this forum?

I will agree with Glen's observation that a "complexity perspective" is
ever-present here, which is part of what makes it all worthwhile.   I
withdraw any implication that we need more use of arcane complexity
science terminology, or that what we *do* have here isn't appreciated.

- Steve