[FRIAM] SFI to Trump: The dangers of simplicity in a complex world

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Feb 6 19:49:41 EST 2017

Merle writes:

< So I took my grant to CNLS at Los Alamos, where I was greeted with open arms (I was deemed a "domain expert" in terrorism because I had mediated in N. Ireland and the Middle East) and given an office, a computer, post-docs from all over the world, and a title as Guest Scientist and Affiliate--enabling me to present my team's research at conferences in the credential-crazed world of academia.  >

Perhaps it is not widely known, but there is also an organization in Los Alamos called the New Mexico Consortium.   This is a lower overhead non-profit that has negotiated a degree of peace with the lab and it is common for LANL scientists to direct staff at the NMC, or for LANL scientists to spend some of their time at the NMC.   Many NMC folks get limited badging for the lab and can attend relevant events.  However, to do that kind of work in an applied sense would surely involve security clearances, so NMC might not be right anyway in that case.  The NMC isn’t that big, but probably a similar staff size to SFI.

Marcus