[FRIAM] Why depth/thickness matters

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Wed Feb 8 22:41:41 EST 2017

The opening of this article would be a complete counter position for an
Ecological Psychologist:

  "Students of perception often claim that perception, in general,
estimates the truth. They argue that creatures whose perceptions are more
true are also, thereby, more fit. Therefore, due to natural selection, the
accuracy of perception grows over generations, so that today our
perceptions, in most cases, approximate the truth."

As an alternative to the Evolutionary Psychology perspective bias of this
paper, Eric Charles may chime in on how Ecological Psychology and the
Neo-Gibsonians (Michael Turvey et al) would be aligned with your stance as
they also seek to minimizing the reliance on internal representations of
"the truth"/reality when explaining perception and action.

I'd further be interested to think about how Eric's example of the Aikido
perspective (which Critchlow would appreciate) in his paper could be
applied to responding to alt-right attacks in contrast to direct
confrontation:
  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/44571452_
Ecological_Psychology_and_Social_Psychology_It_is_Holt_or_Nothing

Not sure what Holt would say about Rosen's modeling relation.

-S

Stephen.Guerin at Simtable.com <stephen.guerin at simtable.com>
CEO, Simtable  http://www.simtable.com
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 <(505)%20995-0206> mobile: (505)577-5828
<(505)%20577-5828>
twitter: @simtable