[FRIAM] Why depth/thickness matters

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 8 23:26:12 EST 2017

All,

I am throwing this in so Eric C. will chew on it when he chews on S.G.’s point.

For a proper PRAGMATIST, the question is not whether an understanding corresponds to some ephemeral external reality; the question is whether it proves out in future experience.  When state engineers approve a garage construction (see this week’s New Mexican), they in effect make a bet that future experience will show it to have been sound.  When the garage starts to sink into the ground in four years, we say they were wrong to make that bet.  “Reality” in the sense of something outside experience has nothing to do with it.

The problem perhaps with Holt and Gibson is that they took Peirce’s monism in the opposite direction.  Instead of being experience monists, they became “outside world” monists.  Their Consciousness is just the outside world as described from a position in the outside world.  Truth, for them is just a correspondence of the outside world as seen from all different angles.  The world as seen from 4 years ago turned out to be not the world as seen from today.  Mind has nothing to do with it.  The truest statement is one that doesn’t change when one changes one’s position in the world. Cf, vonUexkull?  I call this the “extentionless dot” theory of consciousness.

Note that neither Holt, nor his mentor’s mentor, Peirce, would endorse the idea that truth is a correspondence between a mental representation and a world outside human experience that it represents, Peirce because human experience is all we got, and Holt because the outside world is all we got.

Eric knows a lot about this stuff, having edited a book about Holt, and read a lot more James than I have.  But I wanted to give him a chance to contradict me.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/