[FRIAM] more fun with AI

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Thu Feb 9 17:20:58 EST 2017

Okay, this one got published in Science today,
https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.02318, they solve an n-body quantum wave
function with artificial neural nets, they earned two separate commentary
articles:

The challenge posed by the many-body problem in quantum physics originates
from the difficulty of describing the non-trivial correlations encoded in
the exponential complexity of the many-body wave function. Here we
demonstrate that systematic machine learning of the wave function can
reduce this complexity to a tractable computational form, for some notable
cases of physical interest. We introduce a variational representation of
quantum states based on artificial neural networks with variable number of
hidden neurons. A reinforcement-learning scheme is then demonstrated,
capable of either finding the ground-state or describing the unitary time
evolution of complex interacting quantum systems. We show that this
approach achieves very high accuracy in the description of equilibrium and
dynamical properties of prototypical interacting spins models in both one
and two dimensions, thus offering a new powerful tool to solve the quantum
many-body problem.

This is getting sort of close to home, now, we're replacing cleverly
contrived numerical methods for exotic quantum physics with generic machine
learning algorithms.

-- rec --