[FRIAM] Naïve physics question

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 11:50:12 EST 2017

I'm not a physicist ... or very smart.  But it seems like what you're asking is if/whether there are any other paths, other than heat and light for energy to escape.  If not, then you're right.  If so, then not.  But I suspect if there are any other escape paths, they will be larger in the incandescent bulb than the fluorescent bulb.  And if that's the case, then the CFB would rise _more_, because the incandescent's hidden paths consume more energy than the CFB's hidden paths.

An example hidden path might be the decay of the filament?  Absorption/reflection/dissipation rates of the opaque material?  Perhaps some sort of "thermal mass" of the bulb or its coating(s)?  Does the gas inside CFBs decay in any way?  Etc.  Regardless, I suspect it would be tiny in either case.

--
☣ glen