[FRIAM] Naïve physics question

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Tue Feb 14 10:01:39 EST 2017

Since there are some non-naïve, i.e. professional physicists, as well as
just gererally smart people in FRIAM, I pose the following fun question.
Given: two transparent, sealed containers filled with air - one contains an
incandescent light bulb A that consumes 100 watts of energy; the other
container contains a fluorescent light bulb B that also *consumes* 100
watts of energy. Since B is of a more efficient design, it will produce
more light than A. Assuming the same color temperature light is produced by
A and B, and ignoring any feedback effects of rising temperatures inside
the respective containers, will the temperatures inside the containers
reach the same temperature? Naïve physicist G (me) thinks that since more
light is escaping from the container containing B, that its temperature
will rise less. G also thinks that if the containers are opaque, that the
temperatures will rise by the same amount. But G is besieged with doubts.
Please help G.