[FRIAM] What does it mean to say that it will probably rain tomorrow?

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Tue Feb 21 17:40:22 EST 2017

I'm pretty sure those probability terms refer to ensemble casting,
where some estimation of the error in the observational data is made,
as well as the interpolation between, and and an ensemble of forecasts
is made with initial conditions drawn distributions from matching that
estimated variability - with the probability just being the frequency
of that occurance in the ensemble run.

One of my clients does this stuff for a living, and I sometimes peek
over the shoulder at his work, but otherwise don't claim any expertise.

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au