[FRIAM] What does it mean to say that it will probably rain tomorrow?

Carl Tollander carl at plektyx.com
Fri Feb 17 01:17:34 EST 2017

Well, I think the weather forecast does not particularly care about your
particular location.   It cares about what area you are in where they can
make statements.   So, the statement that it may rain in Santa Fe with a
50% probability either means that in some larger region of which your
specific location is a part that it WILL rain all of the time in the time
period over 50% of the area.   Or that it may rain half the time over all
of the area.  Or that, given that you are in the area, it's 50% probable
that it will rain upon you given that it will definitely rain in the area
somewhere.  Or something else.   Not quite the same things.