[FRIAM] FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:11:46 EST 2017

Right, I think I got that you meant society being in the zone.  You expressed doubt and I disagree with you -- meaning only that I have less doubt. 8^)  I think society can (and does, often) get into a zone/groove/flow.  Some symptoms that are often complained about are "mob behavior", "groupthink", etc.  Some symptoms that are lauded are "wisdom of crowds", "negative freedoms" (freedom to _not_ be mugged, etc.), low unemployment, etc.

My reference to my individual state of mind when I'm engaged in social activity was probably misleading, however.  What I should have referred to is something like stigmergy or the co-constructed landscape, infrastructure.  Some of us complain about the entitlement of the younger generations.  But really it's a good thing that they feel entitled ... entitled to walk down dark alleys without being killed ... entitled to buy a state of the art automobile for only $25k ... entitled to drive that automobile and experience the (waning) culture of Route 66.  Etc.

These are "society in a groove".  And it's a good thing for the most part.  There are risks, e.g. populism, riots, the absence of critical thinking ... not knowing how to start a fire without a lighter, etc.

Anyway, so I disagree with the idea that society, as a group, can't be "in the zone".  But I believe that the thoughts inside the members of the society are not really _shared_ thoughts.  The societal groove does not depend on isomorphic relationships between the insides of the members' heads. (holography again)  And the extent to which individuals' grooves map to societal grooves is unclear (and probably complex).

--
☣ glen