[FRIAM] FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

Vladimyr Burachynsky vburach at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 23 21:58:58 EST 2017

Glen,

I think Robert Wall is nudging close to an idea that he failed to adequately clarify but you may have nailed it while trying to deny it (this I call a backhanded strike). Last week there was a strange article about groups of people having the same memory that have no contact with each other. That shared memory was in fact  demonstrably false. It was regarding a misperceived memory of a TV show called Shazaam and some comedian called Sinbad... My mind retains utter garbage sometimes.

I never saw it but then it never actually happened. The investigators explained that so many of the false memory components overlapped reality
that the subjects truly believed some occurrence that was categorically disproved. So a society may well share memories of fictional events and act on delusions ie mobs.

If an individual may fall into a groove then how else can mass insanity be better explained. I always recall that in history strange things happen on mass scale. For instance during the heated animosity between the Greeks and Latins a feud broke out over religious icons. West was Iconophilic and the east was Iconoclastic. The Latins were so pissed they assembled an armada in Rimini or Ravenna and sailed this monstrosity down the Adriatic to defend the faith. Somewhere between Brindisi and Corfu the greatest historical storm destroyed the entire fleet of ships sparing Byzantium a certain defeat. So Leo made a few compromises and things sort of settled down but then another group of serious iconoclasts  made trouble the Paulicians. Then the Muslims came along and the world is still fractured in many ways. It always struck me as the height of insanity to go to war over Symbols and I think Monty Python once made a skit out of crusaders and muslims beating the crap out of each other with religious banners and gilded reliquaries. While the armed knights and Saracens looked on in amazement. Whether this ever happened , I do not know, but can guess. Perhaps " the groove" has a darkside a suicidal aspect, such as the Battle of Gallipoli, as well as the neutral individual features we love to discuss openly.

I always suspected that Hatred is transmitted from mothers to children as is influenza propagation. I recall some very strange conversations between my German Mother and Ukrainian Aunt that bordered on the rabid hatred of mad dogs. Then they just continued serving Christmas dinner in total silence,  when the men returned to the dinner table. My Uncle a  devout Catholic and former Ukrainian Cavalry Officer would think nothing of Beheading Russians long after he was defeated in the 1920's. Indeed he was otherwise a rational Civil Engineer with a penchant for Botany but he hated anything that sounded affiliated with Russia or Eastern Orthodoxy. I could never tell the difference except for the slanted foot support on the crucifix. Hardly enough reason for bloodshed.

But Dylan Rouffe and Alexandre Bisonette slaughtered  defenseless congregations and showed no shame nor regret. They may be said to have been proud  of what they did. Anders Brevijk may well have been in a dark trench at the time of his methodical depredations of children, again no shame. No one mentions that that slaughter by a single man exceeded anything in the Old Testament perhaps a Cuiness World Record. Populism may well be a filthy outpouring of bottled up hatred. And the perverted demagogues revel in the delusion that they can manipulate it to their personal benefits.

It is not a welcome insight into human nature, I apologize for  disturbing the peace.

Well Canada is sending taxis to the border to rescue Somali's ignorant of our cold. Now our old ladies think the sky is falling because of a few refugees trying to run from Trump. Back in the 1960's and 70's we took in hundreds of American draft dodgers  and the sun remained in Orbit.

I must admit that I had some fun today speaking to a millennial visitor that could no longer abide liberal visciousness  in the media. Left or right they are both resorting to fascistic techniques. He expected me to support the right but i laughed it off, I am more of a centrist anarchist I confessed, the other side of the sphere, so there was no need to abuse my hospitality.

vib