[FRIAM] Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

Vladimyr Burachynsky vburach at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 28 20:45:00 EST 2017

I am attached to the thread’s name. It strikes me as so outlandish that it deserves attention.

On the speculated history of song-birds was a recent paper suggesting most if not all songbirds

appear to have had a singular ancestry from SE Asia or Australasia.

If you seek to embellish the voice of sauropods with something more familiar to modern ears try

cranes and herons. Melodic voices do seem to belong to Songbirds and not the aquatic residents.

You guys are looking for fractals and stepping over more obvious solutions. Just prune the branches not the entire forest of mathematics.

Any bird has only so much lung capacity

so every utterance is limited to that volume and it must be forcibly discharged to create an audible  wave.  To be detectable by the intended target that sound must fall into a range of frequency and

volume within the recipient’s capabilities. If the bird is unable to produce syrinx based sounds then it must devise an alternative like ruffed grouse or prairie chickens. They basically seem to

beat the crap out of their chests and can sound like English motorcycles for brief moments.

So let’s break away from some rather extreme avians from the Melodic Songsters of Poetry.

Did not the Audubon Society have a library of Bird vocalizations, at one time.

By the way Frisch did this sort of thinking with Honey Bee Waggle Dances and paper and pencil.

As a student I had to read his work and found that the bees could sense extra dimensions which could include even more information, vibration and scent.

Glad you  are all back in a constructive mode.

Suppose graphics of birdsongs could be transformed by functions from one species within a family to another to examine the environmental challenges that a species contends with

say Mountain species compared to Plains species.

Nick, I must bow to your wisdom and tip my hat.

vib

oh, Jon I saw you code site and will try and recompile/run it in Maple or Processing since I am familiar with those  two.

Some days are harder than others while pulling a barge upstream.

Anyone recall any barge songs.

vib