[FRIAM] Hope or Despair

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sun Jan 8 01:50:41 EST 2017

“The only solution to the problem of fake news that neither misdiagnoses the problem nor overpowers the elites is to completely rethink the fundamentals of digital capitalism. We need to make online advertising – and its destructive click-and-share drive – less central to how we live, work and communicate.”

Well, advertising existed before digital advertising.   Investigative reporting has been and is an important profession.  It takes time, effort, and expertise to turn over rocks and figure out what the important questions are, and how to answer them.  That digital capitalism has a particular technical mechanism that is prone to proliferating nonsense is a problem that can be fixed with a combination of legislation/regulation and technology.   That is no more elitist (or authoritarian) to insist that food producers publish standard nutritional properties.   Yes, there are more and less credible sources for reporting, and in principle, the web makes this easier to communicate to readers, not harder.   We have cryptographic ways to (reasonably) prove that entities are who they say they are, and ways to prove that source documents have not be tainted.  We even have very sophisticated open source technology for parsing natural language into data structures and for reasoning based on these data structures.

I would not say that online advertising is becoming more conspicuous in my work or personal use of computing technology.   I don’t use Facebook at all, and Twitter is mainly interesting as a way to gain insight about large scale social networks.   I don’t communicate with Twitter.   I don’t use Instagram.   I do use Google and a few other search engines, and I don’t find it hard to discriminate between ads and content.    I consume advertisements from credible news outlets like I would have 30 years ago.   All of the modeling these companies do of me can be defeated just by using Tor, if I should choose to be so paranoid.   Actually I think I get less advertising than I used to because I now just pay for Hulu, Netflix and XM radio instead of using broadcast television and radio.

If I am annoyed by one thing, it is that there are so many morons on the Internet that now don’t have to be exposed to criticism.   Usenet was different in this respect.    Let us bring back the good old days of Usenet flame wars.  When stubborn ignorance could get you humiliated in public and without mercy, over and over.

Marcus