[FRIAM] The year ahead

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Sun Jan 8 21:36:41 EST 2017

Merle, I think a lot about what makes ultraconservatives the way they are,
since as I said, the majority of my family is of that mindset. I grew up on
a farm in Kansas, so I do relate somewhat to the people I grew up with.
However, I left that life behind decades ago, and have come to see how
narrow-minded they (and I) can be. I believe a large part of it has to do
with male authoratarianism. I remember a recent Facebook post by one of my
cousins that said something along the lines of "people have forgotten what
an alpha male is like, and Trump is going to show them." This is closely
tied to the religious fundamentalism of the south, which to my thinking, is
damn close to that of Christian cults (I don't have any personal
experience, just going by what I've read about figures like David Koresh
and the Branch Dividians, and the Hollywood prortrayal of them). Somewhere
in this mix, a big dose of fear of the government controlling our lives
leads to fierce defense of the right to have guns - despite the more
"moderate" views in the NRA of needing guns for hunting and self defense,
the most strongly held view is that they are necessary to take back the
country if the government gets too powerful. I must admit being torn on
that issue myself. I don't buy the whole "I'll give up my gun when they pry
it from my cold dead hands" mindset, but I'm also pretty suspicious of an
overly strong centralized government. You can take the boy out of the
country...