[FRIAM] The year ahead

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 20:18:06 EST 2017

Your candor and honest reflection is refreshing, Gary.  And I agree with
you. I'm a recovering international mediator, and in addition to teaching
graduate students in Canada in a course titled "Complexity Thinking for
Integrative Peacebuilding", I also teach in the Buddhist chaplaincy program
at Upaya Zen Center--so I try never to see "the other" as evil.  Some of
the men I've had at the table over the years in negotiations had committed
truly evil acts, but they are human beings nonetheless.  I've become quite
radical as our trusted systems at every level are collapsing, and that's
what is promoting revolutionary resistance.  In order for social movements
to be successful they must remain relentlessly non-violent, and they must
have as part of the self-organizing process some sense of how to replace
the structures underlying the failed systems that they have disabled.
Facilitating that process is, I believe, part of our political work as
Complexity thinkers.  If you're interested, a paper I wrote on applying CAS
principles to social movements has just been published in an academic
Canadian peace journal.  I'll send it if you like.

merlelefoff at gmail.com
mobile:  (303) 859-5609
skype:  merle.lelfkoff2