[FRIAM] Is the new president mentally ill?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jan 11 11:34:56 EST 2017

Carter -

I found the article an excellent addition to this discussion.

    /Instead of continuing the fruitless "disease" argument, we should
    address these questions directly. Taking a determinist
    consequentialist position allows us to do so more effectively. We
    should blame and stigmatize people for conditions where blame and
    stigma are the most useful methods for curing or preventing the
    condition, and we should allow patients to seek treatment whenever
    it is available and effective.
    /

Unfortunately It would appear that blame and stigma are not effective
with our president elect who is a brand, who is an empire, who is an
icon of narcissistic abuse of others.  I would also appear that he would
not accept, much less seek treatment.  I believe this is what makes him
"Teflon"... his complete denial (or unawareness) of there being a
problem.   "The right way, the wrong way, the Trump way" prevails.  Our
new "Narcissist in Chief" is about to take his throne, and as long as he
has many subjects to worship him, he will remain there.

While "the Donald" IS the imminent delivery mechanism of our
(potentially devastating) undoing,  it is his myriad supporters from
many (expected and not) walks of life who might need treatment or
stigmatization.   The "elites" and "bleeding heart liberals"  would be
the ones under equal scrutiny about now, had "the Hillary" squeeked into
office he way the Donald did.

I believe we are a nation (world) at risk of collapsing under our own
Neuroses.  I offer the Buddhist concept that we all see the world as we
choose to, roughly in one of the four categories: "World as
Battleground;  World as Trap;  World as Lover; World as Self".   I have
aligned myself modestly with the "elites and bleeding hearts" to the
extent that they tend to choose the latter 2 over the former and avoid
the "self righteous right" and "knee jerk conservatives" for *their
propensity* to frame everything as Battleground and Trap.  My support of
Hillary and Obama broke down where they lapsed too far into
Battleground/Trap.

I hope that the "Million Woman March" coming up carries more of the
Lover/Self than the Battleground/Trap.  Women (and many others) have
good reason to see the Trump Ascendency as a Trap and a Call to Arms,
but I believe confrontation alone only propagates the problem.

After a bad trauma, radical debridement or cauterization, even
amputation are often called for.  Ultimately it is the wound/surgery
aftercare and systemic support that returns the patient to vital
health.   The "make America Great Again" crowd do not nurture nor
support, it just isn't in their kit.  The nurturers of our culture need
to remain ready to do what we do as the self-limiting (but possibly
huge) damage comes to it's logical conclusion.

Carry On,
  - Steve