[FRIAM] Is the new president mentally ill?

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 14:01:30 EST 2017

Awesome contribution, Steve!  There's so much to both agree and argue with, I simply must indulge.

I think there's more substance to the "peaceful transition of power" rhetoric than we're all giving credit, here.  Yes, each new President can destroy the world.  And leaving the selection of people to wield such power up to such a Rube Goldberg machine like our money-is-speech constitutional republic semi-democracy is very scary.  But none of this implies, in any way, that we should buy into the rampant over-diagnosis of every little behavioral trait as a disease.  (Gee, I like my coffee black... I must be have black-coffee-liking syndrome.)  People wonder why we have a health care crisis ... it's partly because our knowledge (both scientific and engineering (including medicine)) is like a fractal.  It's intricate and you can follow any path for your entire life.  And many paths are very weakly justified, if at all.  (Fake news is nothing more than part of the same phenotype as pseudo-science and quackery.)  We design and prescribe drugs for every little trait.  We extract and re-package molecules to sell as "vitamins" and supplements.  We scoff at chop grinders and establish our tribe with our burr grinders.

In the end, there are only 2 types of us: Type_1) those who have faith in things like the Singularity or God and Type_2) those of us who relish the bubbling cauldron of stew we live in.  I pride myself on my ability to switch modes, much like I take pride in my willingness to defend (however incompetently) things like Post Modernism when all my friends start trashing it. >8^)

The reigning advice is: Don't freak out.  Type_1's: find the things you can do to reify your Deity, given the current state, and do them.  Type_2's: Scoop up a fresh ladle and enjoy, because you'll be dead soon.

And finally, having Trump as president will either _falsify_ or validate our recent pop culture trends (e.g. heaping meritless reward on things like Kardashians; isolating out fetishizing singular phenomena, while ignoring their context like we idolize singers and ignore the back-up band; distilling and extreme-dosing things like resveratrol, etc.).  I welcome the opportunity to test my hypothesis that cultural phenomena like Big Brother, Survivor, American Idol, Shark Tank, and The Apprentice are vapid wastes of time and energy.  If Trump is successful (even if _only_ because he's constrained by the deep state), my hypothesis will be weakened (dramatically).  But if he fails in a serious way (impeached, nukes the world, etc.), then my hypothesis will have more justification than it currently has.

--
☣ glen