[FRIAM] The root of personality disorders

gepr gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 21:57:51 EST 2017

No worries. The thing is, though, with cancer and pneumonia we do have well evidenced, reproducible, mechanistic hypotheses. That makes those hypotheses way more robust and trustworthy than personality disorders. So while there may be some deeply embedded circular reasoning in any diagnosis, the circular reasoning in purely phenomenal diagnoses is much more obvious.

Granted, I'm a big fan of parallax, as I've yapped about here before.  When a mechanism is unavailable, we can approach it through circumscribing a small region of behavior space with many purely phenomenal models, which is why these diagnoses need multiple attributes. But there's still no hiding from the circularity.

Also note that I regularly defend circular reasoning ala Robert​ Rosen, autopoiesis, non-well-founded sets, etc. But I wouldn't entertain a circular justification if there were good reasons to believe a well-founded explanation was out there somewhere.

--
⛧glen⛧