[FRIAM] The root of personality disorders

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 22:07:43 EST 2017

About 30 years ago there was a long article in the New Yorker about
problems of mental health diagnosis and treatment.  It was based on a real
patient who was given the fictitious name of Sylvia Frumpkin.  The
consensus diagnosis for her was schizophrenia but one Asian Indian resident
said her diagnosis was bipolar disorder.  When he was asked why not
scizophrenia he said that it was because there was no evidence of severe
delusions.  His colleagues asked about the fact that she said she was
married to Mickey Mouse.  His reply was, "Who's that?". The point was that
cultural differences between Dr. and patient can cause communication
problems.

Frank Wimberly
Phone (505) 670-9918