[FRIAM] Nautilus: Investing Is More Luck Than Talent

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 14:30:41 EST 2017

On 01/21/2017 06:05 PM, Robert Wall wrote:
> It is conscious and logical.  It's the beginning of wisdom.  Or, is it just a fool's errand? Not easy.  Not something I have achieved. But I do think it is possible.  I have a few more years yet ... and then I die. 😕  It does beg the question, "What's the point if this can't be perkolated up to the level of society?"  I suppose we need to ask a devoted Buddhist this same question.

The purpose of my pointing out that morality reinforces whatever social structure already exists was to imply that _conscious_ programs are the enemy.  It is consciously controlled plans that turn out to be based on a false understanding of reality.  Of course, this makes sense because the map is not the territory.  Our minds essentialize, remove "extraneous" detail.  Hence, nothing conscious can be, fundamentally, based on complex reality.  It must simplify it and, thereby be false.

This is why neoliberalism (kindasorta) works.  It is an agenda where we limit our conscious planning and let the full ugliness of our complex reality rain down on us.

> The problem is that they drag their crappy minds along with them. Living longer does not change the animal.

Here, you and I seem to agree: it's the conscioussness that is the problem.  But it seems like you're contradicting yourself.  On the one hand, you think (conscious) morality and planning are what we need to codify into reality and on the other hand, you're saying it's our crappy minds that caused the problem in the first place.

--
☣ glen