[FRIAM] [SPAM] Re: [[Narcissism Again]again]

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Jan 29 11:56:24 EST 2017

Eric -

I appreciate your point here.  I think the problem in *all* of our
"culture wars" is not that one side is evil and the other must fight and
defeat them, but that there is a schism  in "Ways of Knowing" which,
while unresolved, will lead to a schism in "Knowing" itself.

I was raised in "two cultures".

My nuclear family and community were very conservative and rural in
nature.  They believed in hard work every day, self-denial (to some
extent) for the greater good, and many had one version or another of a
Bible in their house and in their place of worship, but few (if any)
carried or quoted the Bible in everyday life. One of my best friends
fathers was a lay preacher but until I went with them for him to give a
sermon to a tiny congregation an hour's drive away, I had NO idea they
were particularly religious, but his sermon was well formed, articulated
and he was charismatic.   By day he was a skilled timber-scaler,
measuring mostly by eye, how much timber was going to come out of the
trees as they marked them for cutting in the forest.  He was a very good
father and husband.   What I suppose people like to call "salt of the
earth".

I entered middle-school (then Jr. High) in a still conservative and
extractive-industry town, but large enough to have a few (more) free
thinkers, and it WAS the end of the 60's with lots of consciousness
about war, race, gender in the air.   I had been so isolated (no radio
or TV reception, very little newspapers beyond the monthly "roundup
report" and only *some* magazines (Natl Geo, Life, Reader's Digest,
Farmer's Almanac).    So the "big world" landed hard on me, but mostly
in a "good way".   It took me most of 10 years past that point to
reframe my world according to the *bigger* world.  It helped that I was
a DJ at the local small-time radio station for several years and *had
to* listen to a LOT of network programming as a consequence.   I didn't
produce any local news myself to speak of but I *did* have to read it on
air and realized that a lot of what I was "saying" was a convenient
falsehood that fit the local (small town) aesthetic.   I also realized
that among the several networks we had on the wire for direct broadcast
and record/rebroadcast that there were *some* discrepancies in the
"facts", or more to the point, as you bring up, the "perspective".  I
took to firing up my parent's antique Zenith "WaveMagnet" radio after
work and falling asleep to the BBC which not only had funny "voices" but
also had an entirely (to my parochial ears) different "Voice".   When
they canceled draft registration a few months before I turned 18, I
decided not to leave my country of origin permanently (as planned) but
rather to take the money I'd saved up and go to a *real University*
rather than the local Community College as *most* of my fellow A/B
students had planned.  The C/D students (80%) weren't even considering
higher education, and sadly none were planning any adventures in the big
world either.    My 10 year reunion was very sad, to see where *most* of
them had (not) gone with their lives. I'm pretty sure most of them are
still rooting for Trump, even though his policies and attitudes are
going to hurt THEM a lot more than me.

My point, I suppose, is merely to reinforce what you said... and maybe
add, that the rhetoric of the Right is heavily invested in "Facts" and
"Truth", and even though *we* might see right through how those facts
are cherry picked and the truth distorted (from our perspective), that
doesn't mean they aren't earnest.   Trump supporters are nothing if not
earnest!

- Steve