[FRIAM] the woman behind the woman

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Jun 5 11:44:54 EDT 2017

This triggers some personal memories. I have a letter from her,
basically a rejection letter, saying I couldn’t have a summer job with
them (Boston Advanced Programming group) until I finished my second year
in college. Although I don’t remember ever hearing the name of the
project, one of the IBMers described it to me as “like Fortran, but
symbolic rather than purely numeric.” Clearly it was FORMAC.

I always assumed Jean Sammet was a (French) man, but now, 55 years
later, I see “(Miss)” written before her signature.

By the next summer, I had pretty much dropped my interest in computers
and spent the summer paddling a canoe to Hudson Bay and it took me about
20 years to get back into software.

--Barry