[FRIAM] the woman behind the woman

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Jun 5 12:31:27 EDT 2017

Macsyma can generate Fortran, but Macsyma is itself is Common Lisp.  A few years ago there was the Fortress project out of Sun, but it was shut down shortly after the Oracle acquisition.   Fortress was looking more and more like Haskell as it progressed.   A symbolic math package implemented in Fortress would have been roughly a modern FORMAC.   There’s plenty of serviceable Python for these things, but without the unifying vision and compiler know-how.

I wonder what life was like as a working programmer at IBM in those days.   I assume it was depressingly regimented and the real hackers who could take something like this on were at the ivy league schools?