[FRIAM] the woman behind the woman

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 5 12:42:33 EDT 2017

Marcus sed:
I wonder what life was like as a working programmer at IBM in those
days.   I assume it was depressingly regimented and the real hackers who
could take something like this on were at the ivy league schools?

I've a friend in his late 70s who was a bit in that froth... he
graduated MIT around 1963 with a degree in Architecture but a hankering
and aptitude for programming (nearly failed his Architecture degree
because of all the time he spent in the computer lab)...   He was
solicited by IBM to come to NMTech as the human "analyst" attached to
the IBM they had sold to Stirling Colgate who was leading that charge in
those days.   Before he could actually begin his work, but had already
relocated, DEC got to Stirling and they dropped IBM for a DEC machine,
like the gentlemen duelists IBM and DEC were at the time, my friend was
"gifted" to DEC by IBM... "ah the pleasures of being chattel, or at
least an indentured servant!".   He stayed with DEC until retirement,
taking a few years sabbatical to work at a startup which sold out big
enough to give him room to then singlehandedly build a PASCAL compiler
and P-Code interpreter for the pre-DOS IBM PC and even declined an offer
from Bill Gates himself for packaging it with DOS, that included
royalties... he felt it wasn't finished and besides, he didn't think
much of Gates and didn't think he was really going anywhere.

One of his more influential professors was Minsky himself... he found
him a bit "droll" as I remember.