[FRIAM] the woman behind the woman

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 5 17:11:10 EDT 2017

I found my nephew's engagement in WoW back in the day (8 years ago now?)
to be every bit as real to him as a physical world, especially with the
realtime audio feeds among his team-mates online.  They jumped in and
out of WoW as reluctantly as kids came home from "kick the can" at dusk
in my generation (I never had that, not living in "neighborhoods" but do
understand the lore/lure of it all).

I don't know if media-enriched social media meet that goal.  My own
field which I have begun to abandon as irrelevant (in the sense that all
I knew and built "back in the day" is being re-invented from the angle
of social media) seems to be coming to fruit.   I don't know if young
people hang out in VR headsets, talking to one another's avatars or
sharing their virtual (or real, telepresent) spaces or not... I'm kinda
guessing not, but I bet that is coming... maybe once headsets become as
non-invasive as reading glasses or contact lenses.  Remember the early
days of bluetooth headsets when wankers sitting near you in a bar or
coffee shop would reach up and touch their ear and then start talking
loudly (and often belligerently) to a ghost sitting across from them?
It was fukkin eerie, even though I understood the tech down to the gnats
ass and had even worked with vaguely similar technology long before it's
prime time.   It was the cultural shift that threw me, not the technolgical.

My own work in collective intelligence (2001 ALife: Johnson, Rasmussen,
et alia) did not verge on collective consciousness much less collective
wisdom nor collective soulfulness, but I believe such a thing exists and
it will be people like Krista Tippet (On Being) in the range of
conversations she curates in her radio/podcast show "On Being"
<https://onbeing.org/about/>and the "Civil Conversations"
<http://www.civilconversationsproject.org/> project it cohabitates
with.  Her recent interview with Brian Greene
<http://www.briangreene.org/>stands in stark contrast but simultaneously
starkly familiar style and meaning with her interview with the (former?)
right wing shock jock "Glenn Beck"...

just sayin'
  - Steve