[FRIAM] Graph/Network discursion.

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 9 15:37:39 EDT 2017

Glen -

At the risk of boring the rest of the crowd silly, I'd be interested in
hearing more about the kinds of graphs you would like to talk about.   I
agree that Partially Ordered Sets are a (relatively) special case.

My interest is in the structure/function duality, more in topological
than geometric structure.  I've read D'Arcy Thompson (no relation Nick?)
but not studied him closely, and I defer for my intuition to Christopher
Alexander (A Pattern Language) for high-dimensional graph-relations in a
real-world (human-built environments) context I can relate to.

Perhaps I'm more interested in Networks, though I'd like to ask the
naive question of how folks here distinguish the two... I tend to think
of Networks as Graphs with flows along edges.   I think in terms of
multi-graphs (allowing multiple edges between nodes) or more precisely,
edges with multiple strengths/lengths/flows or more precisely yet I
think,  with vector properties on edges...

- Steve