[FRIAM] IS: Does Complexity have a circularity problem WAS: Any non-biological complex systems?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jun 10 14:48:11 EDT 2017

Nick -

I'm not sure I've observed a "fingers in the ears shouting" here, but I
do understand the point I think.

I always read FriAM discussions as if the goal is exactly what you
stated... to find a common language/model/metaphor to use to discuss.

As Glen aptly put it, these threads often DO get polluted perhaps by too
much hair splitting or discursions from the OT (original topic) and I
might be one of the guiltier parties to that.    I think we DO wear
ourselves (and one another as well as not-so-innocent bystanders who
might otherwise participate) out with the long winded discussions of
details (see the mass exodus/defection of WedTech a few years ago).

I believe that the argument (discussion) over levels vs layers was
fueled partly by Glen's trying to hold us responsible for not enforcing
a strong idea of hierarchy into the ideas of complex systems.    So I'm
game for helping to explore (but maybe not resolve) this question of how
models of complex systems are structured.   But to avoid the risk of
being mistaken for shouting with my ears plugged, I hope someone else
will make a next step?

My own limited throwdown might be as follows:

Complex (biological?) systems do tend to exhibit (some) hierarchy as a
consequence of self-organizing principles building larger units from
smaller subunits (e.g. C, H, O, N molecules forming into carboxyl
groups, glycerol groups, phosphate groups, which in turn form amino,
nucleic, and fatty acids which form into macromolecules like fats,
carbohydrates and polypeptide chains which fold into proteins which then
go on to self-organize (or be assembled or catalyzed) into structures
such as cellular and nuclear membranes as well as cytoskeletal
membrane/tubules, flagella, etc. on up through the formation of
organelles, viruses, microphages, and then unicellular life like
bacteria/amoebae/protozoa/archaea/algae/fungi, and then multicellular
life into complex organisms which then organize into units like
flocks/herds/tribes/packs/murders/crowder/school/crudeness/troop/rabble/flange/etc
and then perhaps proto-organisms like hive/city/state/nation/etc.   But
following Vlad's lead and other's complementary offerings... there IS
interaction between these levels of hierarchy...  cell membranes and
other organelles "process" macro(and micro)molecular structures,  groups
interact collectively with individuals, etc.

I'm with Glen intuitively that even though there are MANY examples of
hierarchy in complex systems,  it isn't clear that they are either
necessary nor sufficient to explain self-organization, emergence,
sensitive dependence on initial conditions, punctuated
criticality/equilibrium, etc.

I fear I may have muddied (polluted) a little here...

- Steve