[FRIAM] sometimes an onion is just an onion...

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 12 13:10:36 EDT 2017

BTW

I am (mostly) of the opinion (school of thought) that follows Lakoff and
Johnson's premises from "Metaphors we Live by" (1980) where most
language and thought involves metaphor.  I think Lakoff revisits this
strongly from another direction with Nunez in "Where Mathematics Comes
From/the Embodiment of Mind".

Previous to and outside of this school of thought, many/most seem think
of metaphor as no more than a flowery linguistic construct mostly
reserved for poetry and other imagistic writing?

Can you (Glen) state your position on the utility or place of metaphor
in your world-view?  We might (once again) be bashing around in
different wings of  Borges' "Library of Babel" (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Library_of_Babel )

- Sieve